Monday 23 April 2018

Project development - style and editing

Speaking of style, I cannot say I am a pro. What I do has been crafted through trial and error and I cannot speak of myself as an 'artist' in the sense that to me being an artist equals being a painter. Photography is in a way painting with light BUT I tend to regard myself as more of a craftswoman. Photography is a craft, after all, as much as it is related to art. 

Within the previous modules, I had to make an effort and think of style as a complex phenomenon. While I work, I don't consider style important - which means that I don't consciously follow one and the same technique throughout the editing process - I edit by intuition and even though it is not exactly a valid argument, the final edit is the one that 'seems' good to me. I can say that I trust my gut feeling in this rather than just blindly follow a certain trend. 

During this and the previous module. I noticed that I have started to think of style, in some way. Last module I did some abandoned buildings and I consciously pushed the 'clarity' slider more than usual to put an emphasis on the cracks in the facade or the unkempt environment around them to raise awareness of the condition these places were (and still are) in. 




This module, however, things changed as I didn't want to make churches look like ruins (even though some of them are far from perfect condition). I aimed for a more natural look and edited accordingly. A bit less clarity but a bit more colours to make the details pop up (the abandoned buildings images are a bit more washed-out to emphasize on the faded look of the colours) and a dash of contrast. 



While editing, however, I noticed that there is a certain pattern in my work flow - I tend to use one and the same tools in more or less one and the same way. The images do not look alike, of course and I am a bit reluctant to talk about style yet but there seems to be a subtle similarity in editing that started to become visible and the images to be recognized as mine on the basis of it. 

I guess I have to thing this over and work more on that but I am yet to find out how to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guardian of the past

Or what happens when you decide to edit an archive shot with the idea of showing that you are a better editor than your pervious...