Thursday 2 May 2019

FMP - final - the exhibition - what happens

I don't know if it is just me, but when I do something, I always want it to be perfect and aim for the best possible outcome - no matter what the thing is. This exhibition, being the culmination of two years of hard work and a lot of nerves, travels and texts written, was not exception, of course. 

Hence, after I selected the venue, I immediately knew that I would need some really good promotion and a lot of loyal friends to have around to support me. Luckily, I found some support but as a perfectionist, not everything went according to plan. 

As the Murphy law goes, if anything can go wrong, it will definitely go wrong at the wort possible time. The opening date of the exhibition was May 1st (as both me and the venue owner, a friend of mine, deemed it as great to start at the first day of the month). Another motivation is that the date is a bank holiday in Bulgaria so there would be no excuses that someone has been held up at work. So I went for that as I was quite tight on the deadline for submission here. 

The Orthodox Easter (that took place just the previous week) also posed a problem since my prints were delayed due to that. Luckily the print shop, the courier firm and myself managed to pull it off just the morning before the opening. That posed another near-heart attack situation since I needed to hang images only 8 hours before the start. 

Hanging is always a problem in any exhibition - at least so my previous experience shows. When I needed to curate this exhibition (done by the Bulgarian UNESCO club I worked for at the time) hanging the images proved to be the most time-consuming activity of all. 

Hence, I didn't expect anything less and I was right - hanging the images round (without damaging the walls of the venue, as we had agreed) proved to be a test for my inventiveness. Luckily, things went out great and my exhibition harmonizes with the interior of the cafe. 

The video below shows the exhibition opening (and me, speaking to those who came) and the images as they are arranged for showcase. It is in Bulgarian only since it made no sense to make subtitles of the 5 phrases I actually said there. Throughout the evening, I was acting as the tour guide, explaining to people what was in front of them, giving instructions on how to scan the QR code, ect. 

From what I saw at the opening, the images do provoke some response and thinking in the guests. We'll see how things go since the opening of the cafe is scheduled for the third week of May when the media is expected to come, as well as many other guests. I will also be there since this will be sort of a second opening and another opportunity to stand in front of people and talk about my work. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guardian of the past

Or what happens when you decide to edit an archive shot with the idea of showing that you are a better editor than your pervious...